The school provides a broad and challenging curriculum within a secure and happy environment where the children can develop the confidence to reach their full potential in an ever changing world. The following are some of the features that help translate these principles into practice:
- A culture of openness, warmth and support which helps children to be creative and cheerful at school.
- Montessori methods for fostering a basic sense of order, co-oridnation and focus.
- Playway methods which focus on interaction, expression and learning through play and fun.
- Singing, dancing, roleplay & story telling.
- Arts and crafts integrated with basic language and number-work learning.
- Life skills building, foundation for responsibility, emotional intelligence & creativity.
The Learning Programme
- Focuses on academic and intellectual rigour through a meaningful and relevant curriculum.
- Fosters thinking skills and creativity.
- Encourages self initiated learning through projects.
- Recognizes and respects diversity in children.
- Sports & games programme which helps children achieve their personal best.
In our school, we promote high achievement and learning for life by working with children, so that they will:
- Develop enquiring minds and a spirit of curiosity.
- Become highly motivated life-long learners.
- Be flexible and adaptable for the modern world.
- Have high self esteem – respecting themselves, others and the environment.
- Be able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Achieve their full potential.
- Seek to extend themselves in mind, body and spirit.
- Have an understanding of and respect for their own and others beliefs and cultures.
Co-curricular activities are an essential part of the school curriculum. They very effectively develop in the student the values of self-reliance, team spirit, leadership, confidence, creativity, discipline which in turn fosters and character building. These activities include:
- Music – Western & Indian
- Folk Dance
- Public Speaking
- Art & Craft
- Pottery & Clay Modelling
Counselling / Special Education
As we enter the new millennium and introspect on issues of the rapidly evolving society, it is imperative that schools attend to the psychological needs of the students along with academics.
SELC therefore provides all students and parents with the services of a special educator / counsellor if required.
Students who have problems in the areas of behaviour, adjustment, peer interaction and academics are assessed, tested, guided and counselled so that they can become more effective and empowered in the long run.